Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How Can We Deal With Risk?


There are a number of different ways to deal with risk. The most costly is usually to buy an insurance policy. But, that's only helpful after the barn's burned down. So, how else do we deal with risk?
Well, we can completely avoid whatever "it" is. That is a novel concept to me. It's like I've been living under the assumption that injury or pain was just a part of living life. But, now that I'm thinking about it, there's a whole lot more to risk than pain. Pain's like a 3 or 4 on the Risky Scale of 1-10. 
I love going outside in lightning storms. I don't know why, I just do. But my wife understands the risk and chooses to avoid going outside all together when there's a chance of lightning. 
Or, consider your propensity toward driving on New Year's Eve... your choice. It's higher risk than New Year's morning. 
What other risks can we avoid? Owning an automobile. Having dangerous pets. Having people over to our house. Using the fire place. Walking on a roadway. Getting out of bed. Slapping a bear... you get the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment