Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Super Hero Status!

Jon Barron

If we refuse to listen, nothing changes.

I shared my story about the diabetic who almost hit my wife a couple weeks ago. Here's the part that connected to me personally...

About a year ago, I was fishing at the lake with my kids and I passed out. Doc said it was a vagal syncope, which means I passed out, but the explanations are ironically... vague. I fought the unconsciousness for about 45 minutes. Unconscious for about 10 In-and-out for 45 minutes. It was like I was living the life of a drugged superhero, struggling to come to consciousness. But I'm not a superhero. And I was completely exhausted.

What if that happened while I was driving? What if that was me who almost hit someone?

Let's do a quick review of your Auto Insurance Coverage... 

Dig out your auto insurance policy for a minute... seriously, do you know where it is? 

On the "Declarations Page" (one of the first pages) there is a line that says something like "Bodily Injury and Property Damage" or "Liability" and there's a number next to it... that is a very important number. It is the limit of coverage you have. There are two possible types of coverage:
  1. Combined Single Limit (CSL) - this is usually listed as per accident. The number represents the total amount of coverage.
  2. Split Limits - often listed like $xxx,000 / $yyy,000 / $zzz,000. (Limits Explanation: x=per person / y=per accident / z=property damage per accident)
Now, consider the cost of surgery and lost wages if someone is seriously injured by your vehicle. You know what? It would be just my luck to hit a lawyer or doctor. And I'd probably be sued for lost wages during the time of rehab... this is getting really expensive and we haven't even considered repairs on the vehicle(s) I hit. Is that liability coverage sufficient enough for you? (Remember that past performance is does not predict future results.)

Let's face it. None of us put an accident on our to-do list. But through buying insurance, we are making some preparations to deal with the possibility of an accident. What if something happened to you tomorrow?  Is your liability coverage sufficient enough to protect you and your family?


Jon

The Merriam Agency Logo

No comments:

Post a Comment